Parish of Banagher, Derry Diocese, Ireland. home
Parish News
We Pray For...
Parish Groups
Pilgrimages & Retreats
Prayers & Readings
Past News
Get In Touch
History of the Parish of Banagher, Derry Diocese
...Notes on Subsequent Building.
 

 

The mosaic in St. Joseph’s was laid by Italian craftsmen in 1935 when Rev. Patrick J. Kelly was parish priest.

The grotto at St. Joseph’s was built by Fr. McNamee (literally) along with John (Brown) Hassan, Paddy and Willy (Neilus) Hassan. The statues were presented by Patrick Murphy of Ballymena.

Altinure Hall was built in 1956 for Fr. McNamee and Fr. Carlin by Harry Doherty, contractor, and the Lynch brothers, and extended by voluntary labour in the time of Fr. Patrick J. Mullan.

New schools were built : Fincairn (1957, extended 1971); Altinure (1968); Ballymonie (1972).

An internal porch was installed in St. Joseph’s by Rev. Bernard Kelly to alleviate draught problems.

The new parochial house at Ballymonie was built by Rev. Daniel McNicholl C.C. replacing the ill-adapted curate’s house in Feeny.

Renovations were carried out at the Parochial House, Altinure by Fr. McNally C.C, Fr Collins and Fr. Mullan, and at the old Parochial House, Fincairn, by Fr. B Kelly, Fr. McNally (who was appointed PP Banagher, but died suddenly while still resident in Altinure. It was he who started St.Mary’s GAC, Banagher, uniting the footballers of Feeny and Altinure), and by Fr. Gildea PP.

Rev. M. Collins CC was responsible for the complete restoration of St. Mary’s Church, Altinure, which was re-dedicated by Bishop Neil Farren in 1970. The architect was Joseph Tracey. While work proceeded Mass was said in the hall.

St Mary’s, Altinure, was re-slated by Rev. M.Gildea PP in 1980.

 

More Historical Inforation
 

 

If you have any historical information relevant to the parish - photographs or little anecdotes,

please let us know and we will let the world know.

 

 

PARISH OF BANAGHER, 42 Glenedra Road, Feeny, Dungiven, Co Derry BT47 4TW | Tel: 028 - 7778 1223